RBHS Replacement Project
Rainier Beach High School Replacement Project
Construction on the new Rainier Beach High School began in the Summer of 2022.
Rainier Beach High School students, staff, alumni and community partners have a long history of excellence. However, the accomplishments and achievements of the student body have not been reflected in or supported by the physical state of the building the school occupies.
Thanks to the 2019 Building Excellence V school levy and a tremendous amount of advocacy and commitment from the Rainier Beach High School community, the Rainier Beach High School building will be replaced with a new, state of the art facility, finally worthy of the community it supports.
- We have hired our General Contractor to construct our amazing new school. Lydig Construction was awarded the privilege of building our community gem.
- We are finalizing schematic design for our amazing new school and would love your input regarding green building strategies for Rainier Beach High School. It is our priority to create a culture of conservation and environmentally responsible behaviors by combining learning and sustainability.
- We are committed to working with community-based companies and contractors. Please visit Build the Beach for Us by Us to find out more and to connect with us.
On December 8 and 15, 2020 the Rainier Beach High School design team held Integrated Design Workshops with the goal of establishing project priorities related to sustainable design strategies.
Participants included students and teachers participating in the School Design Advisory Team, Seattle Public Schools staff responsible for facilities and capital projects, and the architects and engineers working on the design of the new building. The workshops were held virtually using the Zoom platform.
Funding for the Project
In the 2019 Building Excellence V (BEX V) levy, Seattle voters approved funding for the construction project which will replace Rainier Beach High School with a new multi-story high school of approximately 233,700 square feet.
When completed, it will provide permanent space for 1,600 students grades 9-12. The project also includes renovation of the existing Performing Arts Center. Students will remain onsite during the phased construction. BEX V funding will also provide technology equipment and services, such as computers, printers, and other technology for teaching and learning.
The Rainier Beach construction project is currently in the design development phase, in which the School Design Advisory Team (SDAT) collaborate with the architects to develop elements of the building that will support programming needs and the culture of the community.
The SDAT is composed of members of the school and community who help guide the design process by advising how the building design can align with the culture and educational needs Rainier Beach High School. This group works closely with the district’s project manager, and the architects for the project and will participate in a series of workshops and tours throughout the construction process.
Share Design Feedback
RBHS Updates from the District Capital Project Team
Rainier Beach High School Replacement Project
The existing Rainier Beach High School will be replaced with a new high school building on the same site. The construction will be done in phases so the school can remain on campus during the project.
- Predesign phase complete
- Schematic design phase complete
- Design development phase complete
- Construction documents/permitting phase in progress
- Bid and award phase complete
- Phased construction: April 2022-December 2026
- Phase 3 in progress
- Estimated move into western 70% of new building: January 2025
- Phase 4, construction of Performing Arts building expected completion June 2026
- Phase 5, field installation expected completion December 2026.
Progress updates are posted for the previous month.
Major activity in January 2024
- Continued to install roofs.
- Continued light gauge metal stud framing of the interior and exterior walls.
- Continued installing gypsum wallboard.
- Continued mechanical, electrical, plumbing (MEP), and sprinkler rough-in work.
Major activity planned for February 2024
- Continue exterior metal stud framing, sheathing, and waterproofing on the classroom building.
- Continue fireproofing work.
- Continue interior light gauge metal stud framing, insulation, and wallboard installation.
- Continue roofing work on the main classroom building and gymnasium.
- Continue MEP and sprinkler rough-in.
Live Webcams and Project Progress Photos
View the webcams to see the project live.
This slide show shows the project as it proceeds.
School Design Advisory Team (SDAT)
Early in the design process, representatives from the school community come together to form a school’s SDAT. SDATs typically include school and district staff, parents, students, and community members. The project construction managers also take part. Due to the timing of the Rainier Beach SDAT, meetings were held virtually. Read more and review the meeting minutes.
A virtual community update about the Rainier Beach High School project was held on June 16.
Architects renderings of the new school
About the Project
Rainier Beach High School will be replaced with a new four-story high school of approximately 297,000 square feet. When completed, it will provide permanent space for 1,600 students grades 9-12. Students will remain on-site during the phased construction. A regional Skills Center is being incorporated into the project as well as a district data center. The project is being built with aspirations of a LEED Platinum certification.
Design Firms: Bassetti Architects/Moody Nolan
Project Management Firm: Parametrix
General Contractor: Lydig Construction
Project Budget: $238.2M
Funding Source: Funded by the Building Excellence V Capital Levy (BEX V), approved by Seattle voters in 2019 and the Buildings, Technology, and Academics/Athletics V Capital Levy (BTA V), approved by Seattle voters in 2022.
Parametrix Manager: Paul Popovich, email@example.com, 253-208-7831
Rainier Beach High School
8815 Seward Park Ave. S
Seattle, WA 98118